Advertisement

steroid injections

topic posted Mon, September 26, 2005 - 9:02 PM by  Unsubscribed
Share/Save/Bookmark
Just wondering if any of you have had any of these, no matter what type and if you think they do anything to make the problem worse, in between relieving pain? Do they further harm the joints?

I don't remember who but I think someone told me that was what was wrong with having TMJ surgeries, is that the steroid and anasthetic they would inject in there, would cause further wear and tear on the joints.

I had a Facet Injection in my cervical spine on August 8th. Just a few days ago or so the pain began to come back. I am sceduled for another round of injections this Friday. I am trying to see if they will just do the radio-frequence nerve ablation instead. Those injections really hurt too for as much stuff as they gave me for pain and relaxation.

Anyone know of anyone that has had anything like this or know of anyone who goes in all the time for these injections?

Thanks for any info.

Cat
posted by:
Unsubscribed
Advertisement
  • hey wiley,
    i had a couple of nerve blocks done when my pain was at it's very worst, before i had begun any treatments, and they injected some form of numbing agent, something like xylocaine, and a steroid to make it last longer... i got it right in the base of my spine, on either side...like in the two little holes in the back of your pelvis...(know what i mean? cervical spine? not sure of the exact terminology...) it was an excurciating ordeal, you can't move or the needle will break, but it was definately worth it, as i got some relief, and then the medications could have a little time to start kicking in.
    the first injection gave me about ten days of semi-relief, and the second, with extra steroid, gave about twice that, which, at that point, was heaven on earth.

i didn't find any harmful after effects, though as i said, the injection itself hurt like a sunofabitch.

i'm not sure i'd recommend this for everyone, and i suppose it depends on your pain... but hell, it gave you relief for more than a month and a half... do you feel it's worth it?
    • Unsu...

Hi Kit -

Yeah, it definitely was worth it though it didn't take away all of my diffuse pain but really helped the extreme pain in the back of my neck which then went to my dorsal spine and left shoulder blade. Thing is, is that now that it's back, it hurts worse than it ever did before. Or maybe it's just my perception of it right now.

But yeah, those shots left puncture wounds in the back of my neck for days. I had no idea the needle was that large! LOL.

It sounds like you had Facet Joint Injections, those little things that act as hinges on either side of the spine. If those get moved out of place, or start to wear down, they then can compress nerves at the roots and really cause a lot of pain that travels elsewhere and is hard to find the source of until you have one of these done.

I have to hand it to pain management. I wasn't sure what they would be able to do for me, but I am glad I am going.

I heard from the Dr.'s nurse that after this second set of injections, THEN I can get the Radio Frequency Nerve Ablation or something more longer-lasting depending on how the next set goes.

But yeah, my neck is f%*&ed with arthritis at 39. Yikes.

It was woth it though I have this fear that whatever they use will wear down the joints more in the long run or that maybe methadone is chewing away at my bones or something. I need to get a grip and/or do some more research.

Thanks, Kit, and I hope you get more relief too!

WileyCat
      • Unsu...

Well, I got through my second round and told them it really hurt last time. I think they gave me a double does of fentanyl because I hardly felt a thing! Maybe some days are just better than others?

Or maybe it was that the needles were higher up and there is less pain there in general. Who knows.

But if these work out, then I get the nerve ablation done.

I still can't be without methadone though for the Fibromyalgia pain but that searing pain in my neck and shoulder blade is greatly relieved.
        • wiley, I'm so glad to hear it wasn't as rough this time and that it gave some relief...
          now if we can all get some...

kit
          • Unsu...

Thanks, Kit. You know what though, I have been in a lot of pain this week since about three days after the injections. It's not in my neck but under my left shoulder and arm and that burning vibrating pain elsewhere - even the bottoms of my feet. I wonder if sometimes these injections can cause things to get worse in a way?

It's probably the weather change though and my fibromayalgia, etc.

I still think I have gotten good relief though for this searing neck pain I was having right in the back of my neck. Guess I was hoping it would help with the more diffuse pain. But I will take this!

When I talk about chronic paiin, it gets difficult and I feel like I am obsessing or complainging too much because I feel sometimes like if it is not one thing it's another. But I know a physical therapist told me once that sometimes what happens with pain is that once one area gets some immediate medical relief or other reprieve, that the brain then begins to pay attention to another area that needs attention and so pain sometimes seems to shift in severity and frequency to different body areas.

I have definitely come to the conclusion though by now, that my central nervous system is way out of wack from all this for so long. I am also beginning to really make a point to understand how chronic pain works at a scientific level. So in a way, I am not going to feel bad about thinking about it or talking too much about it. It's a big part of my life and I want to understand it better.

On the other hand, I am just trying really hard to keep busy and keep my mind off of it, but it gets to me. Tonight I had to take my prescribed dose of methadone (which is more than I ever usually take ) and have been throwing up most of the night because of it.
            • WiLe, hope you are feeling better today.
              I was in so much pain earlier but took one of my strong pain pills and right now am doing some better so I wanted to see what email I had today. I don't here as often as i want to because I always feel so bad.
              Don't worry about talking about your pain, thats what we are here for to listen to each other.
              Is there some way we can email each other and chat more?
  • I went through a series of facet injections to and after the third one it began to ease off some..so give it time to work ok.
    I have degenitive disc disease really bad, thats why I get them. If this does not work for any length of time I am considering the implantation of a pain medication device that they plant inside the spine to ease the pain. Can't recall the name of it right now but I had to watch a video and go to counseling for it before I can get it done.
    • Hi, I'm new here and so happy to find folks that I can talk to about this stuff. I have gone thru Facet Joint injections and that didn't have lasting enough effect, and most recently 4 prolotherapy injections of the sacroiliac joints. Now the UCSF pain clinic has sent me to therapy to try to strengthen the weak tendons and ligaments. I feel weaker and in more pain than ever. I'm still trying to work and taking lots of meds to accomplish it. Feels crappy.
      Kris

Recent topics in "pain"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Deplin Rocks!!! Moonmom 0 January 11, 2013
LSD new use as potent anti-inflamitory Moonmom 2 October 24, 2012
chronic pain rehab in Mission Valley ChronicPainR... 0 October 17, 2012
Back Pain,leg pain Unsubscribed 0 December 30, 2011